NTK Shed Hunting Program
We accept dogs into this program between 6 months old (after baby teeth are out) and one year old. Please book ahead of time to ensure your spot with us.
FOUNDATION SHED PROGRAM (3 MONTHS)
Foundational Obedience On and Off Leash
Intro To Sheds
- Sit, Here, Stay, Heel, Kennel, & No (On and Off Leash)
- Intro to the E collar for Off Leash Insurance
- E collar Conditioning
- No jumping, mouthing/biting, barking
- Understanding that I am the leader and they are to follow
- Good social skills with the other dogs
- Building confidence
Intro To Sheds
- If the dog has a natural retrieve I will start getting the dog to retrieve antlers consistently. If the dog is focused enough I will start hiding them with scent in basic courses. (Get the nose working)
- Getting the dog to use the wind, work in front of me.
- If your dog has a great retrieve drive or I can't finish a force fetch, I will simply only do hold conditioning
- Force fetch is like insurance. It insures that shed will get from it's hiding spot along with many perks!
- Setting more difficult courses. We go to more difficult cover and terrain. More challenging set ups to increase persistence and drive to find those sheds.
- Working the dog on less and less scent to increase focus and accuracy
- Working on handling and building range. Every dog has a natural range but we can push or pull sometimes to increase or rein in.
- Building enthusiasm and endurance for the hunt.